Winter warmer: Creamy, Cheesy Curried Broccoli Soup. Silky Smooth Velvet in a Bowl
It may be winter everywhere else but here in Manzanillo the temperature is still in the 30’s, which makes the day your fridge decides to stop working a pretty bad day. Luckily the day this happened I didn’t have too much in there. A large head of broccoli, onion, garlic, half an avocado, some left over boiled potato, half a package of Philadelphia cheese and some other random bits. So, I turned the annoyance of a lifeless fridge into a delicious pot of steaming, velvety soup.
This is a beautiful light green, silky smooth and creamy soup that with the addition of wonderfully fragrant hot curry powder has a fabulous little kick. Topped with a dollop of plain yoghurt and toasted sunflower seeds and served with freshly baked homemade bread it makes a healthy and tasty bowl of warm deliciousness to get you through a cold day or a broken fridge.
1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 onion, sliced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 potato, chopped
3 tsp curry powder (I used hot curry powder my sister brought me from England)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp mustard powder (i used Colmans English Mustard Powder – also brought over from England!)
4 cups (1 litre) of vegetable or chicken stock
salt to taste
2 tbsp olive oil or butter
2 tbsp Philadelphia cheese
2 tbsp plain yoghurt (optional)
2 tsp sunflower seeds, toasted (optional)
1. Put the olive oil or butter in a large pot over a medium heat and add onion and garlic, fry a couple of mins until onion is translucent.
2. Next add the potato and broccoli and sprinkle over the turmeric, curry powder, mustard powder, black pepper and some salt. Cover and allow to cook 5-10 mins, stirring now and then to stop it sticking.
3. Pour in the stock and cover. Cook gently for around 15-20 mins or until the veggies are tender.
4. Once veggies are cooked, turn off the heat, check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
5. Allow soup to cool at least 5 mins before transferring to a blender, add the avocado and Philadelphia and blend to desired consistency.
6. In a small frying pan toast the sunflower seeds.
You may want to heat the Creamy Cheesy Curried Broccoli Soup up again before serving in bowls topped with a spoonful of yoghurt, the toasted seeds and fresh homemade bread. Enjoy 🙂
- Spinach Chayote and Mushroom Soup (https://psykdeliasmith.wordpress.com)
- Creamy Chunky Sweet Corn Chicken and Potato Soup (https://psykdeliasmith.wordpress.com)
- Lemon Roasted Broccoli with Pine Nuts (spontaneoustomato.com)
- Meatless Monday With Creamy Broccoli-White Bean Soup and Easy Broccoli Cheese Bread (planetforward.ca)